Question
Posted by: Amazed | 2007/06/08

RE:POST 1801 HIV SCARE

Dear Cyberdoc

I am not here to critisize you in any way but I was very surprised by your answer to question 1801. I did not expect such an answer from yourself. Telling the poster to ask her HIV positive maid to use some JIK when washing dishes and not to cook the supper to reduce the chance of spreading HIV. My goodness doc, if HIV was so easy to transmit, everybody in the world would have it by now. 90 percent of people in world who are HIV positive don't even know their status. Amongst those people are many domestics, many school kids, many people out in public. Those of us who researched the topic know very well the disease is impossible to spread other than sexual intercourse and blood transfusions. The chance of the maid's blood coming into contact with a family members fresh wound would be almost non-existent. Even if you drank a teaspoon of HIV infected blood you are highly unlikely to contract the disease unless you have a fresh wound in your mouth as the virus would be destroyed by the digestive system on the way down. We know the virus is even very hard to transmit sexually and requires quite some work. I think your answer to this lady was uncompassionate and you should have said that they were 100% percent safe rather than giving them ridiculous preventative measures like washing dishes with JIK.

Bottom line 99.9999 percent of people with HIV contracted it sexually

You are welcome to erase this post
Amazed

Dear Amazed
the general public feel unsure about their risks and the reason I said this was to reduce the poster's fears about HIV. Although HIV is transmitted by sex and blood, many people are scared that if they use the same cups or let the person work with their food and should cut their finger, they may be at risk. It is important for these patients not to be discharged from work because of unrealistic fears, and putting a bit of jik in the water is re-assuring to the family that no germs will be spread. I try not to be just clinical and scientific all the time but to also think of the human factor and the fears ( scientific facts do not always alleviate this). If putting a teaspoon of jik in the dishwater is going to keep this woman her job, I would suggest it again. I would not erase your post - your opinions are always valuable and appreciated.

4
Posted by: Concerned mom | 2007/06/12

She was never going to lose her job!

Reply to Concerned mom
Posted by: the original concerned mom | 2007/06/09

the thing is to maintain a balance between protecting your loved ones and showing compassion towards those living with this awful virus. I apprecaited the docs advice, it was practical, there are secondary illnesses as well, like TB, which is infectious.
I am proud of her approach to living with the disease, which is also practical, and postive.She would hate us to get sick just as I would hate to transmit our flu and other germs to her now that she is HIV Postive and pregnant.
At least we are all talking about it, that's a good starting point

Reply to the original concerned mom
Posted by: C. | 2007/06/08

Agree with Lou. My maid might or might not have aids, but she goes about her usual routine, as she should. Almost zero she can do will result in any of us getting aids! BUT, I WILL feel better if she took the availabe measures, using jik is a good start and can certainly do no harm. Right?

Reply to C.
Posted by: Lou | 2007/06/08

Sorry amazed, I dont agree with you at all. Lots of people with maids have small children and babies, and children often have nicks, cuts and grazes from their adventures - this puts them at risk with an HIV+ maid. It would be safer for everyone, for the maid to take preventative measures.

Reply to Lou