Our expert says:
Dear Worried Mom
There is light yes. It will clear. The coughing at night is due to the air being either cold and dry or warm and dry. The lungs need the air to be warm and humid. Try using a humidifier in the room to help her sleep better and add a few drops of A Vogel Po-Ho Oil to the humidifier. You can also drop a few drops on her bed clothes.
The only other products I would recommend her to take are Cataro from Natura with Bio-Strath Elixir. Bio-Strath is really a brilliant product and does not boost the immune system but RESTORES it. Her immune system needs a hospital right now to get it better and that is what Bio-Strath does. The Cataro from Natura will help clear the mucous quicker. It can safely be used with what the homeopath has recommended.
Apart from the wheat and sugar also avoid fruit juices, hard cheese and yoghurts.
Attached is further info for you.
All the best and may she recover quickly.
COUGHS AND COLDS
Do you suffer from?
• Sore throat
• Runny nose
• Watery eyes
• Dry cough
• Wet cough
• Post Nasal Drip
A Vogel’s Echinaforce herbal drops and tablets have a strong effect on the body’s defence mechanism. The immune system is enhanced by using Echinaforce herbal extract in quantities large enough to assist the body to fight off viral and bacterial infections.
A Vogel’s Cold Formula is a homoeopathic combination remedy suitable for the typical upper respiratory symptoms of a cold. It is particularly useful when the throat is scratchy, affecting the voice and for a post nasal drip. The extracts of Allium Cepa in this formula will rapidly clear, runny nose and watery eyes.
A Vogel’s Cough Formula is a homoeopathic combination remedy which is excellent for the treatment of coughs of all kinds, whether wet or dry. Quick relief is experienced with lasting results when using this safe cough formula which contains no antihistamines, making it suitable for babies and pregnant women.
A Vogel’s Drosinula Cough Syrup is a herbal remedy used to expel mucous from the lungs and upper respiratory area.
Some advice from Dr Vogel
Foods that build up resistance to colds:
Foods rich in calcium should be on your menu without fail. Eat carrots every day. Include kohlrabi (turnip cabbage) tops in your diet when they are in season; serve similar vegetables where kohlrabi is not grown. Celery leaves and roots (cleriac), white turnips, parsnips and the like are also good because of their high calcium content. So too are all kinds of fruits, nuts and seeds. Include plenty of figs, raisins, Brazil nuts, almonds, pecans and pine kernels in the diet. This diet will help you get through the difficult winter months with better health, until your own garden again produces fresh vegetables, herbs and berries rich in vitamins. As long as there is no snow it is possible to harvest parsley and watercress to meet the body’s needs for vitamins A and C. But if you live in a temperate climate, it would be a good idea to sow cress seeds in flower pots or little boxes and raise them on a sunny windowsill. If you sow cress at regular intervals, you will have a constant supply of this healthy vegetable throughout the vitamin-deficient winter months. Every little help we can get will be to our advantage. The importance of foods containing vitamins A and C cannot be overstressed.
Other remedies to build up resistance:
Much good may also be derived from taking natural remedies. Ideally suited for this purpose is Urticalcin, a natural calcium supplement of proven worth. To combat a susceptibility to catarrh and to alleviate colds, take Drosinula Cough Syrup.
As a prophylactic for the throat, use Echinaforce and Molkosan, since Echinacea extract counteracts infection and diluted whey used as a gargle disinfects the mouth and throat. If a throat infection is already under way, it is advisable to slowly swallow undiluted Molkosan to “paint” the throat. Also, apply Po-Ho Oil to the chest every day.
Some useful information:
• Colds should never be suppressed. Allow the body to do the elimination by resting, taking adequate fluids, keeping warm.
• Just about all ailments require the proper functioning of the bowels and kidneys. With the onset of a cold, take Linoforce granules to clean the bowel of accumulated wastes. Take A Vogel’s Nephrosolid Kidney Drops to stimulate kidney function, thereby eliminating toxicity from the blood.
• Avoid changes in temperature; rather stay in a well ventilated room at an even temperature.
• A Vogel’s Echinaforce has remarkable results when taken in the following way:
- 20ml, 2 hourly on the first day
- 20ml, 4 hourly on the second day
- 10ml, three times daily until fine.
This is the adult dosage. For children, half the dosage.
20 Drops taken daily, as lymphatic drainage remedy, will help to create a healthy system capable of dealing with viral and bacterial infections.
• Regular steaming with Thursday Plantation 100% Tea Tree Oil will help to clear mucous congestion from the sinus passages, reducing the risk of secondary bacterial infections.
• Thursday Plantation 100% Tea Tree Oil can also be used as a general air purifier by burning it in aromatherapy burners in the home. Overseas travellers use Thursday Plantation 100% Tea Tree Oil on paper tissues as an inhalant to protect themselves from viral and bacterial infections on aircrafts.
• Naturopathically, the value of a good cold is appreciated. It is never regarded as an illness, but as a necessary cleansing done by the body. A cold is your friend, not your foe. People who say that they never get a cold, are probably too toxic to produce the symptoms of elimination which we call a cold. The A Vogel remedies for colds bear this factor in mind and are thus also cleansing remedies.
• Mucous discharge by the body is an elimination process. At a time of discharge, it is sensible to avoid foods which will add to the mucous load in the body, notably, dairy products, refined wheat products, coffee, tea, alcohol, sugar, fruit juices, cigarette smoking. Mucous discharges which are suppressed or “dried up” will return again and again becoming chronic conditions of bronchitis, sinusitis, etc.
Did you know?
- To develop a healthy and strong immune system is a daily effort. Reduce the intake of refined, starchy foods, fast foods, fried foods and sugar-laden foods. Give up the habit of smoking. Introduce green, leafy vegetables into your daily diet. An immune system cannot be built just for winter! It is for every day.
- The regular washing of hands can help to prevent the spread of viral and bacterial infections.
- Be careful not to touch your face with your hands as this is how you will spread the infection to yourself.
- Coughs are self-limiting reactions in the body. If a cough lingers, with a feeling of exhaustion and weight loss, please consult a professional person.
- Do not suppress the cough. The reflex is to rid the airways of phlegm or other minute particles. However, a person suffering from heart disease could find it exhausting to constantly cough and should therefore be treated with this in mind.
- Coughs will generally calm down in a room where the air is moist and warm. Avoid cold, dry air in rooms, or warm/hot dry air in rooms. A humidifier works wonders – invest in one!
- Croup is an acute inflammatory condition of the pharynx and is extremely dangerous. It usually attacks in the middle of the night when the air is cold and dry. Boys are more susceptible than girls. Steaming will help to relieve the attack, but professional help should be sought immediately.
- Whooping Cough is a viral condition which is known by its characteristic cough. It can be most debilitating and exhausting. Most children are inoculated against this disease which can mask the real symptoms later in life. Whooping cough is also known as the 3 months cough, as it generally takes about that length of time to clear up. Specific homoeopathic treatment is very effective when dealing with whooping cough. A professional person needs to be consulted. A Vogel’s Echinaforce should be given to strengthen the immune function to fight this virus. A Vogel’s calcium preparation, Urticalcin, is always indicated when diseases of the lungs are in progress. This is also applicable to asthmatic conditions.
- Post-nasal drip indicates a condition where mucous drips down the back of the throat, causing irritation to the upper-respiratory tract, resulting in a constant attempt to clear the throat of this mucous. Post nasal drip should be seen in the same light as mucous discharges resulting from some irritation. This can mean an external irritation of pollution or pollen, or an internal irritation due to poor digestion or excessive consumption of mucous forming foods as mentioned before. A Vogel’s Sinuforce Drops and Spray have often been useful to clear this irritating discharge in conjunction with added internal and external measures to reduce and eliminate production.
- Nervous Coughs: Many people cough when they feel anxious or uncertain. A Vogel’s Neuroforce and Hyperiforce will help these people to regain their mental and emotional strength. A good tip is to slow down the breathing while concentrating on each breath. This is a wonderful way to bring calm to nervous chaos.
Colds are a necessary part of living a healthy life. Do not suppress the symptoms. Keep quiet, keep warm, take in warm fluids, clear the bowel, stimulate the kidneys. Coughs have many different reasons. Generally, coughing is a reflex to clear the airways from phlegm or other small particles. A cough with no explanation of origin, with weight loss or sweating, must be seen by a professional person. Remember to keep the air in the house warm and moist.
Dr A Vogel’s useful remedies to assist with coughs and colds are:
Echinaforce tabs or drops
Cold Formula drops
Cough Formula drops
Drosinula Cough Syrup
And of course Thursday Plantation 100% Pure Tea Tree Oil
All products are available from Pharmacies and Health Stores
For more information please contact:
SA Natural Products (Pty) Ltd
P O Box 2
Botha’s Hill, KZN, 3660
Customer Care lines:
Tel: 031 7838000
Fax: 031 7838080
This leaflet is not intended as a medical diagnosis, and in no way excludes the necessity of a diagnoses from a health practitioner. Its intent is solely informational and educational.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.