Question
Posted by: bloOey | 2005/01/05

Repetitive Ingrown hairs! Shave or electric Razor help?

CyberDoc,

I'm a young black male who has a serious ingrown hair problem on my face. I have taken the hair off my face a total of two times ever since my facial hair started growing, and the first time, I had no ingrown hairs (i used one of those electrical clipper things. No blades.)
After my hair grew back again, I noticed I started having bumps again - or rather pimples. When squeezed, they either bleed, or release pus, or sometimes both; but underneath that, more often that not, there will be a hair that has grown back into my skin, and then i spend the next ten minutes pulling that one hair out. The second time I shaved my facial hair off (Again with one of those electrical shavers - no blades), my ingrown hairs were reduced, and so were the bumps and pimples. As soon as it grew back though, I've gone back to square one. I was wondering, if making a mission to shave everyday (Without razor blades but with those electrical shavers), would make any sort of difference? Would it solve the problem? And, would shaving everyday after that make the ingrown hairs worse, or better? If u perform a search on the home page of this site, it does have a link to why black men have such bad ingrown hairs, and how to solve it, but clicking on it doesn't work - It's a dead link. Please help. I need to know of removing my facial everyday is a better option than letting it grow!?

bloOey, I’ve reported the dead link. At the end of the day the proof is in the pudding. If the electric razor works better, then stick to it. Another option would be to try a single bladed razor, because the multiple bladed razors cut the hairs too short and this may cause ingrown hairs in men with naturally curling hair. Good luck.