Question
Posted by: Ashley | 2007/05/08

Renial Falure

My Cat has been diagnoised with Renial Failure, and we have been told to put her on the hills kd diet, she is taking to the food, but I am wanting to know if there is prehaps somewhere other than the vet that I can buy this food? Could you prhaps help, and what else can I do to make her more comfortable?

No the k/d is a prescription diet that is only available from your vet. She can have vitamin and anabolic steroid injections periodically.

1
Posted by: Joni | 2007/05/08

So sorry to hear about your kitty!! Unfortunately you are feeding a prescription diet which is only available from your Vet. How severe and advanced is the renal failure? If it is very very advanced unfortunately there is nothing you can really do but spoil your kitty with whatever she'll tolerate. If its not too advanced I've heard of owners who connect drips etc. themselves to help flush out the toxins that build up due to the kidneys not working, but am not sure how that works.

I'm sure someone else will chime in with some more info.

You & your kitty are in our thoughts!

Reply to Joni