Posted by: Clint | 2008/10/24

Removing solid foods completely?

I' ve been ill for as long as i can remember which prevents me from eating enough food to sustain my body. I have been diagnosed with gastric reflux, crohns, hihertus hernia and just about every random diagnosis they could come up with. None of the treatments given had any effect at all and so i just took a long shot and tried removing certain ingredients in food such as starch and gluten. Needless to say, it isn' t making any difference and throughout this process my body is losing weight like it' s on a mission and this continual beating is taking it' s toll. I do find hough that liquids which are basically entirely simple sugars don' t have any of these problems.

I' m starting to think that it' s more an inability to break down the solid foods into an absorbable form which is what' s causing all the problems. I' ve given up in a solution but i was wandering if i can' t get a work-around by replacing the solid foods with something that doesn' t require any digestion. Is there any way to achieve this?

Dear Clint
I am worried about your condition and cannot recommend that you only use liquid foods. Despite your bad experiences with getting a proper diagnosis, I would recommend that you try once more to see a Gastroenterologist (not a surgeon) about your inability to digest food. It is possible that you suffer from enzyme deficiencies that prevent you from digesting your food. If this is the case then the Gastroenterologist will be able to prescribe digestive enzymes to help you cope. It will also help to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will assist you to find foods that you can eat without causing distress.
By now you are also probably suffering from depression by not being able to find out what is causing your problems and because your food intake is so low. If you can, also consult a clinical psychologist to check if you suffer from depression so that you can get some treatment.
Holding thumbs that you at last find out what is causing your problem.