Question
Posted by: Ricky | 2006/11/09

REMOVED OVARY

I have one ovary the other one was removed due to a cyst. What implications does one ovary have with regard to falling pregnant / ovulation? My gynea told me that I would skip a monthand ovulate in the next one since I have this one ovary. But what confuses me is that every time I visit him (gynea) he sees the eggs e.g in August he said i had eggs, also in Sept and last month. And what confuses me more is that he would say there are eggs on the left ovary and also on the right ovary at the same time although the right ovary was removed. Please hepl me I'm totally confused!

Dear Ricky

In the instance where one ovary has been COMPLETELY removed, and the other one intact, the ensuing scenario is that ovulation will continue to occur on a MONTHLY BASIS from the remaining ovary. Therefore the impact on fertility in the initial stages should be unchanged in that there should not be any decline in fertility potential. However, with time it is obvious that the reserves in the remaining ovary would far more rapidly be diminished and that over a more extended time period would result in the substantial loss of fertility potential.
However, the fact that there are so-called eggs noted from both sides will imply that not ALL of the ovary has been removed and that there may be some active residual tissue remaining.

2
Posted by: Ricky | 2006/11/10

Did he say that you ovulate every month with one ovary?

Reply to Ricky
Posted by: Ingrid | 2006/11/10

The doctor just told me on Monday that i also have one ovary and on the side(RHS) AND THE FALLOPIAN TUBE IS ALSO BLOCKED.,and im ovulating normally.but my problem is that I CANT FALL PREGNANT.

Reply to Ingrid