Question
Posted by: Helga | 2007/05/25

Removed gall bladder cause weight gain??

Good afternoon,
I’m a 33 year old female. In February this year I had my gall bladder removed. Since then I’ve gained quite a few kilos BUT I haven’t really changed my eating pattern.
I’ve especially gained weight around my waist and stomach.
My question is: Can the removal of a gall bladder cause weight gain?
I am quite weight conscious and I would really like an honest, reliable opinion / answer as soon as possible as I am quite desperate to know why I have gained this weight since February!!
Thank you so much for your time.
Kind Regards
Helga

Dear Helga
There should be no change in weight after a gallbladder op (unless you lose some in the post-operative period when you only ingest fluids for a day or so), because all that changes is that bile or gall is no longer stored in the gallbladder, but is secreted directly into the digestive tract. Possible factors that may play a role are: the change in not feeling nauseous all the time may make you eat more, esp of fatty foods or this could be a reaction to medications you used before or after the op?? Counter the weight gain with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increasing your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

1
Posted by: Graham | 2007/05/28

Hi there...my wife had her gallbladder removed two weeks back.Would like to formulate a new diet ( existing diet normally comprises of curries,stews fries etc ). Almost certain this would have to change. Please assist.

Reply to Graham