Posted by: Fly | 2008/10/22

Removal of anal glands/sacks

Hi all,

My dog has been suffering from blocked anal glands for a couple of months. I have the unfortunate task of expressing these glands appr once every 2/3 weeks.
I' m at the point of seriously considering having the glands removed and I have read some articles regarding the procedure. But reading the scientific facts is not as reassuring as hearing from pet owners who have had the procedure done on their pets.
Can anyone give me some personal experience information and advice? Does it seem very painful for the dog? Is it worth putting the dog through trauma like that?

Dear Fly

Quick recovery with a uncomfortable anus for a week to 10 days. One of the complications that is possible but VERY unlikely is faecal incontinence.