Question
Posted by: Jan | 2007/05/31

Reminder

porokeratotic lesions --you asked that I resubmit my question # 126 at a later date to allow you time to research . I submitted question #131; however, you haven't responded. Hope that means you're still researching. Looking forward to your response.

Thank you in advance

Expert ImageArchive

I have indeed done some research and they are basically blocked sweat ducts that become nodules in the deeper layer of the skin, clearly as they are under pressure they can become painful and can resemble corns and or warts which will be a common differential diagnosis. Treatment is removal by any of a few methods including but not restricted to freezing surgical excision or punch biopsy.. Unfortunatly they can in some instances become malignant (but not always and you should not panic but rather be pro-active about the management)
and there is a strong family history as well a s a few different presentations. Having had one or two removed is no gaurantee that you wont get any more.. I strongly suggest that you develop a good relationship with a dermatologist near you and if you see or feel anything on your feet treat it sooner rather than later.. This will probably become an ongoing issue or it may be a once off.

I hope this has helped ( indeed I learned from this question )

1
Posted by: Jan | 2007/06/06

Thank you. My podiatrist has indicated that whenever my foot becomes too annoying that a quick trip in to see him is the best way to help control it. He uses a scalpel to "shave" it and then uses acetone (I think that is what he said it was.) It seems to help for awhile. He also suggested an orthotic insert for my shoe, but I find that it is impossible to fit it into any of my shoes.
I will also mention it to my dermatologist when I see him the end of this month.

Thank you for taking the time to "research" this question and I hope it will be helpful for some of the other readers.

Reply to Jan