Posted by: Emma | 2008/11/17


Hi CS,

At last I have been to see a psychiatrist for an assestment. I realize now that I should have gone years ago. He is really a very nice person and I felt comfortable speaking to him. He has put me on 7.5mg Remeron at night and he said I must stay on the Urbanol as well. (I have been trying to wean myself off of Urbanol) Now I take 5mg Urbanol in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon. After 4 days of this combination I am already feeling so much better!!! The only side effects I have so far from the Remeron is drowsiness and lack of concentration. Can you tell me if this will go away with time? I also forgot to ask if the Remeron is addictive. I cannot find this info on the net.

I am going to see the psychiatrist again in a months time as he wants to know how I am progressing on the meds. At last I see light at the end of the tunnel. With all due respect to GPs out there, but for me it was much better to go and see a psychiatrist for effective treatment. He also said that at a later stage I should go for couselling but not right away.

As always thanks to you CS for your advice over many years.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Delighted to hear you have found a nice psychiatrist and that this has been a rewarding experience for you. Side-effects on such ADs are normal ( indeed, if you said you had none at all, I'd swonder if you were actually taking them !) --- but they're usually not too troublesome, and tend to fade out in the first couple of weeks as your body adjusts to their presence and starts using them properly. Remeron, like the other ADs is NOT addictive --- just remember that its unwise to stop them suddenly, as its best to eventually taper them off, in a mirror image of your body gradually accomodating to them in the first place.
Sounds like you're doing everything right, and things should work out well for you. Pleased to have been of help !

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.