Question
Posted by: Gigi | 2004/01/21

religion problems

we are from different religions..............if we really get involved it will b a problen. I respect his and he respects mine, but then the families will differ. We r hesitant to get real close bcoz of this issue. he says he will not push me, but both of us know his family will disown him, if he converts or if I don't convert. we don't want to worry about it too much now, we'll cross that bridge when we get there, but i constantly think what will happen then.
{by the way, he is muslim and i am christian}.

Dear Gigi,
It's obviously really dificult to develop any sort of real relationship with this sort of worry hanging over your head, and in a very real sense that bridge is right here and now. Are you certain that either or both sets of parents will be very dificult about this ? Sometimes they're more understanding than one expects. Could each of you flight the idea as a general topic of conversation, raising it as something that was being discussed at work / at college, and what do they think about it ?