Question
Posted by: ZZZ | 2004/10/12

Relieving yourself during labour?

This is my first pregnancy. I have a rather daft question but here goes. What if you need to go to the toilet while you're in labour ? Not just to wee but maybe you want to do a no.2.....I mean, I'm guessing you can't just get up and go to the loo, so what happens exactly?

You can depending on how far in labour you are. If you are close to delivering no.2 could be baby`s head.

3
Posted by: Purple | 2004/10/13

Wee often in labour, a full bladder worsens your pain.

I was so worried about a no.2 that I requested an enema at a hospital which prefers not to do enema's.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Norma | 2004/10/12

Don't worry, they gave me an "enema", just to make sure everything is out and clean..... you don't even think about that when you are in labour. The only pressure you feel is that of your baby wanting to come out...

Good luck and don't worry

Reply to Norma
Posted by: PP | 2004/10/12

When you go into labour – your body almost goes into auto-pilot, because it knows what to do – even when you don’t! You might have a bit of a runny tummy in the early stages of labour (the body’s way of clearing the way, so to speak). I had that with both of my labours. I was also free to walk around and use the loo when I needed to.
The urge to have a No2 can also be overwhelming – but it could be the pressure of the baby’s head that you are feeling.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy and take care.

Reply to PP