Question
Posted by: Lu | 2004/09/30

Relationship problem - Husband suffering from depression

Good morning

If you could please give me some advice on how to deal with this problem. My husband suffers from depression and is seeing a Pyschologist and has started group therapy. He had a breakdown 4 weeks ago and spent the weekend in a Clinic. This was after he had too much alcholol and was very abusive towards me.
We have been together for 16 years (married for 9) and over the last 6 years he has become more and more verbally abusive.

I have been to a therapist in the past and now due to financial problems and unable to go again. He does not want to attend marital counselling at the moment, as he says he can't cope with it. I am finding it difficult dealing with the situation and tend to cut myself off from everything to avoid confontrations.

I am also desperately trying to find a support group in the evenings preferably,for emotionally abused women in the Cape Town area and nothing has been forthcoming.

I would appreciate your input.

Lu

Well, Lu, of course, as you all realize, alcohol will never help the siuation your husband's in. Sounds like you need to insist on having some access to your husband's therapist, to at least let him/her know about his abusiveness and refusal to face mariage counselling. Meanwhile, call your local ( in phone book ) branch of POWA, and I'm sure they can point you to support groups for abused women,