Question
Posted by: anon | 2010/08/16

relapse rate etc

What is the relapse rate like for males with eating disorders compared to women? Higher or lower pro rata in your opinion/experience of the people you''''ve treated thus far? In what percentage was the ed the primary addiction? Avarage age of the men you ve treated?
i''''m just curious!!

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Anon,
Interesting questions and difficult to answer for a number of reasons. Firsly, we have not kept formal statistics on relapse rates of patients coming through our programme, and it is also quite difficult to universally define what constitutes relapse? Nevertheless, in reflection, I think there has been very little difference in the battle of the sexes as far as relapse is concerned. Very seldom is the ED the primary illness, with depression almost always showing initial evidence. As far as addicion is concerned, with males, it is often preceeded with non-prescription medication (performance enhancing) such as muscle building formulas or dieting potions. For females, the ED is often preceeded with a preoccupation with dieting and the (ab)use of weight loss over the counter products. As for age of males, they have usually arrived in treatment in my practice in their early teens. This is reflected in the literatures. Hope that answers your questions?

3
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/08/17

Hi Anon,

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert
Posted by: Hippo Crit | 2010/08/16

I hope that ED stands for eating disorder and not erectile dysfunction!

Reply to Hippo Crit
Posted by: Graham Alexander | 2010/08/16

Hi Anon,

Reply to Graham Alexander