Question
Posted by: Lee | 2004/11/24

RE:Labour?

Hi there Ladies,

I am now 37 weeks pregnant and last night when i went to the loo, i noticed that i had a alot of gel like mucus. (about a teaspoon full) It was clear and looked like jelly. Then some more came out a little later. I read that this could be the mucus plug. Is it true? Could i possibly go into labour sooner than i think as my ceasar is scheduled for the 9th December. Also last night i had a few period like shooting pains at the bottom of my belly, then i could hardly walk with the pressure on my pelvic bone.....I dont think i was having real contractions and my water hasnt broken. HAs anyone experienced this?? Also is it true that babies dont move a few weeks before labour?

Thanks for advice!!
God Bless!!!

It could be the mucous plug. This does not necesarily mean that you will go into labour now though. If you do have any tightenings of the stomach, you should contact your doctor.
You should still feel your baby move regularly, but the vigorous kicks will not be there.

4
Posted by: Purple | 2004/11/26

Waters only break before contractions in less than 5% of all pregnancies. You need to get to hospital quickly if this happens as the cord can get squashed by the baby which is an obstetrical emergency - you would know if this was happening though, as you would be able to feel it with your hand, so don't panic about it unduly.

Gynae's break your water in labour to speed up the process. It doesn't have to be done, it will occur spontaneously. It is one of the more natural methods of inducing you or speeding things up.

You will hear people say things will be dry if your water is broken - this is nonsense, your body continually makes new amniotic fluid. My waters were broken by the gynae and I dripped out amniotic fluid constantly for about 12 hours, when my baby was then born.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: www | 2004/11/25

It could be the mucus plug, but it does happen that some people loose there mucus plug days or even weeks before the actual onset of labour. Contractions are hardly ever shooting pains in the beginning - they begin and feel like tightening/pressure around your under-belly. They usually start from one side or both and then spread around and you might even be able to feel it in your back. When you start feeling these strange spasms (almost feels like you have to go to the loo all the time) then those are contractions. Don't count on your waters breaking before labour. With both my kids my water had to be broken by the gynae (the second time she almost forgot, I was already at the pushing stage of labour, she broke the water and out came the baby - literally minutes apart). If you wonder or if you are at all panicky, please phone your doc - they are normally very helpful when you're at the end of your pregnancy as you very well might be. But do check the movement of your baby - he/she shouldn't stop moving alltogether, just possibly move a bit less than usual.

Reply to www
Posted by: Norma | 2004/11/24

Your baby will get quite before birth but not still, make sure that you do feel him/her move.

Reply to Norma
Posted by: Me | 2004/11/24

Hii Lee

It could very well be the mucus plug, and the shooting pains could be your little one moving further down into your pelvis.
Don't panic though, if you do go into labour just contact your Gynae and they will still perform the caeser as long as you don't leave it too late. That happened to me with my second baby and my waters didn't break either. I also found that both
my of babies quietened down a few days before their birth.

Good luck!

Reply to Me