Question
Posted by: Trish | 2007/12/20

RE:Inlaws bipolar-creating marriage stra

His father died in the eighties. While I have sympathy for this, I hope I am not wrong when I say we cannot fill that void (?)
Am I being insensitive? I guess I was brought up to be strong? I do not want to create emotional difficulties for these two, because I do care, but I also do not believe that one should help to detriment of one's own happiness and health.

I don't think you're being at all insensitive, and appreciate that you do care. But too much helping can create more problems than it solves, and the aim should be to enable the pair of them to be as capable and independent as posible --- this degree of hand-holding is actually very unusual for padults with bipolar disorder. Again, it makes sense to contact and talk with the shrink supervising their treatment, to clarify what the aims are, why they appear to have become so very dependent and unconfident, and what actually would be useful to do for them.