Question
Posted by: REIKI | 2006/07/12

REIKI

It was recommended that I try Reiki (and I have booked the appointment). I am nervous though. I did look it up on Internet so I have a fairly good idea of what to expect and where it originates from. The thing is, what does the mental health fraternity think about Reiki in general? Is it often prescribed as a complementary treatment, additionally to normal therapy? Is there any medical or scientific proof that it is actually of benefit in helping to unleash pent up emotions?

I hope that no-one who is religious replies here, because I am not a Christian so it doesn't me from that point of view. I don't care for opinions in that vein.

However, I did read that it is harnessing good energy and is never harmful, so cannot be abused in this way.

Your professional and clinical opinion Doc?

I have never seen ANY scientific evidence that Reiki is useful. That doesn't mean that it isn't useful, but that we have no basis for assming that it is. I am deeply suspicious of therapies that claim to "unleash pent-up emotions", though, as not onloy is there no evidence that such efforts are useful, but there is significant evidence that they can be harmful. It all depends on how you wish to decide on things --- personally, I am sceptical about claims made by those who are selling something, unless they can give me some objective evidence that things do actually work they say they say they do

1
Posted by: slayer | 2006/07/14

Please I have read all about reiki and all the other energy therapies most have not worked for me because they work on something that is just bogus called chi. Please dont waste your money. The only way you may feel better from reiki is if you believe it works, the mind is very powerful and it alone will give you good feelings as well as the body producing happy hormones and chemicals because you may feel excited and positive. Trust me if all these energy therapies worked so well everyone would know about them and people would hardly need to see GP's. Dont get fooled by the lie!
See a real therapist with proper qualifications, not a bogus con artist with "unique energy powers".

Reply to slayer