Question
Posted by: Mik | 2007/07/10

Regular shocks

I am always getting shocked on car door, door handles etc. it happens especially at gym on all the cardio equipment - even the spinning bikes! This has happened at 3 different gyms now. lately (the last 2 months) its been much worse and sometimes even when someone touches me i get shocked and my hair has been really static in the last month. i am from cape town. my family went up to jo'burg recently and i was the onyl one affected. All people had to do was touch me and i'd get a really bad shock.
is it normal to get shocks so much? could it be genetic because my mom and elder brother and also quite "shock sensitive"?
Thanks a lot!

Dear Mik
It has to do with the way you walk and the type of shoes and clothes you wear - some people have more contact with the floor while walking and if you wear synthetic shoes on synthetic carpets, this builds up static electricity.
You can also use a humidifyer in your office or home as dry air makes this worse. Wear cotton clothes and socks and experiment with wearing different kinds of shoes.
See also http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/staticcont.htm

1
Posted by: Lou | 2007/07/10

It could be the JHB weather - its alot drier up in JHB than at the coast, which increases static. Its quite normal in Gauteng in winter for static electricity to increase.

Reply to Lou