Question
Posted by: Maddy | 2003/02/19

regarding the lungs

Hi Doc, I REALLY hope you will be able to answer these questions. I have an x-ray report from the chest. The comment at the bottom says: "A possible coin lesion in the left lung peripherally. It may be helpful to screen this lesion to exclude a neoplastic process in the lung." Now, my question is: what do they mean by "peripherally"? My second question: what do they mean by "a neoplastic
process" in the lung? Third question: is this cancer and if it is, could this not be detected by blood results? If this is not screened, what happens? Hope you can answer all these questions and I am VERY anxcious to hear all your answers. Thank you, Maddy

Maddy, peripheral mean on the outer aspects of the lung. Neoplastic is another word for tumour. A blood test will not be able to detect a tumour of the lung. If it is a cancer and it’s not removed now, it might spread and then it’s too late. The best would be to have the tests done a.s.a.p. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Maddy | 2003/02/22

Thank you doc for the reply. Another question, if this "lesion" is not screened like suggested in the rapport, what happens? And is the referring doctor not supposed to follow up on this?
Awaiting you reply. Thank you. Maddy

Reply to Maddy