Posted by: SJ | 2008/07/02

Reflux baby????

My baby girl is 5 months old now and is vomitting up her 4AM bottle feed. She also has a cough that only appears at night. She is fine throughout the day and eats her baby cereal and drinks her formula without a fuss. What could be causing her night cough and vomitting?

A very worried mum.

Dear SJ
She may have a post nasal drip and the vomiting may be due to phlegm running into the stomach and causing irritatation of the stomach lining. You could maybe put a humidifier in her room or just steam the room by putting a kettle in the room without the lid, bring it to boil and let it just steam up the room. You could try Karvol on her pillow and saline drops in the nose to loosen the phlegm. She is too small to use a decongestant.
Please see your doctor if this does not help?

Posted by: Wondering | 2008/07/02

Hi S,

My little boy had reflux he vomited constantly milk, solids, everything. Don''t think your baby has reflux. Maybe it is because of phlem that builds up when she coughs in the evening that she vomits only those feeds. If she had reflux she would be vomiting through the day as well. It was a huge frustration he was never clean. Maybe the night time coughing could be allergies. But trust me don't think it is reflux.
Maybe you should get an humidifier to put in her room to clean and moisten the air.

Good luck hope it all works out fine

Reply to Wondering
Posted by: Murtle | 2008/07/02

U dont say if this is only recently or if she has done it since birth.

Reply to Murtle