Question
Posted by: zack | 2004/10/25

RE:Fasting

we conduct a religious fast annually for 1 month from sunrise to sunset about 15 hours per day without food and liquids

what are the pro's and con's of this if you consider the summer heat? and what can be done to minimise the impact ie. foods to eat? etc..

Dear Zack
If you are a Muslim then I would discuss this with your imam as this religious practice was developed in very hot dry areas of the globe and they will be able to give you good advice. As a nutritionist I would recommend that even if you fast you should still drink at least 1 cup of liquid every 2-3 hours during the day, to prevent dehydration in the hot summer weather we are experiencing at present, but I know that this is prohibited during this period unless you have a medical reason for not observing the fast. The fasting aspect is perfectly manageable if you arrange to eat just before sunrise and eat a good balanced breakfast and then eat as soon as the sun sinks again. Breakfast could consist of fruit or fruit juice, cereal with milk, yoghurt, boiled egg wholewheat or seed bread with polyunsaturated margarine or cheese or cottage cheese with a hot beverage like tea with milk. Your supper can consist of meat or fish or cheeses with brown rice or pasta and vegetables and salads with fruit as dessert. Rehydrate your body by drinking at least 4-5 cups of liquid during the evening before you retire.
Wishing you well over the fast