Question
Posted by: Rene | 2007/03/10

Red wine - how fattening?

I just love my red wine. I drink two glasses every evening, about 200ml per glass. I've been on the internet about how the body metabolises alcohol, needless to say I don't know what to believe any more, so many theories! Yes, I am a little overweight, about 7 kg. My diet is low fat, sugar free, I work out every day in the gym. Is the red wine the culprit?

Dear Rene
Although red wine has been found to be good for heart health because it contains a lot of antioxidants, it does contain about 300 kJ per 100 ml, thus your 2 x 200 ml will add 1200 kJ to your energy intake every day. If your are trying to lose weight you should ingest about 6300 kJ per day and the wine you drink will, therefore, provide 19% of your daily energy intake, which is quite a lot. This means that you will have to cut back somewhere else to 'save' the 1200 kJ you obtain from the wine. The other option is to only have half a glass of wine day (300 kJ which is 4,8% of you daily energy intake.