Question
Posted by: Help Me Please | 2007/03/24

Red Faced When Exercising

Someone please help me. I am a 22 year old female at 175 lbs., 5'4'', who has never really been active until recently. I am trying to become healthier by walking at the park every day and doing other things. The thing is, I am embarassed when I exercise around other people because my face becomes so red that I look like I am going to pass out. I feel fine when this happens, I just don't look like it. I have noticed that I don't sweat as much as I think I should. Is my body overheating? Can someone please tell me why my face is doing this and no one else's is, and what can I do to prevent this from happening? I don't want to give up exercising. Thank you.

It's nothing you need to worry about. I appreciate that you don't want this problem, but you needn't worry about any overheating. It just happens because your body is sending blood to your skin to help you lose heat. And you can't judge your sweat losses, because you can't tell how much of your sweat is evaporating - if this happens, then you will think that you are not sweating when in fact you are doing so perfectly. The reality is that if you were not sweating, you would not be able to exercise at all, it would be absolutely impossible. So don't worry about what you look like - it's a good thing, nothing to be concerned about. As for why you look redder than others, it has a lot to do with your complexion, but the good news is that it will improve over time. But really, you don't need to prevent it from happening.

Ross

1
Posted by: Red too | 2007/03/27

Hi 'Help Me'

I go red too; very red. People often ask "are you ok?" thinking I'm on the verge of a heart attack or something when I actually feel fine. As Ross says: it gets better. The fitter you are, the less red you go; I found it takes about 3 weeks of exercising 4 times a week before the redness fades.

Also, I go running with a peak cap and sunnies on; this hides my face a bit and I don't feel so self-conscious.

Reply to Red too