Posted by: Joey | 2008/08/18

Red Eyes

I' ve got an albino odd eyed cat. Every now and then one of her eyes would look irated and slightly light sensitve. Not really the eye itself but the " pink"  skin on the eye lids - normally goes really pink or slightly red. It will also jump from one eye to the next.

There is no discharge - but she would shor of " squint" , like if I just woke her up. Sometimes it also looks a bit " shiny" , or teary.

I always say that I will take her to the vet, but the next day it is usaully better and then a few days later it is the other eye.

Could it perhaps be because she is an albino?

Dear Joey
Sounds like possibly sunburn on the lids. Cant do normal sunscreen here. You get Doggles sunglasses for dogs but I'm not sure for cats?

Posted by: Sally | 2008/08/19

Hi Joey

My Jack Russell has the same problem. I took him to the Animal Eye Hospital in Fourways and we have been treating him with a very specific sunscreen on his lower lid. This sunscreen has no ill effects on the eye at all.

Hope all goes well.

Reply to Sally