Question
Posted by: Ed | 2004/12/08

Red abd itcht Elbows(inner arms), nek, hands and face

I have had this condition for the last 15 years and have been treated with cortesone ointments and more recently went onto a drug called methtrexate which seems to reduce the itch as well as the redness but it does not go away completely. Doctors have told me that it's a form of eczema but I'm not sure as to what the real cause can be. I have found that certain types of food such as red meat, corn starch, all kinds of wheat and caffeine aggrevates the situation and have since cut these products out completely. My eating habits are very good as I eat on average 6 helpings of fresh fruits and vegetables daily and have fish or chicken as protein once a day only. I try to keep my stress levels in check as well. Is there an allergy test that I should maybe go for or is there a different treatment that you can suggest? There are days that the pain and discomfort becomes almost unbearable and I'm rather desperate to get a cure for my condition.

Ed, it is very difficult to make a dermatological diagnosis over the Net without being able to see it. It sounds like a form of eczema or allergy, but I can’t say which. You can go for allergy tests (ask your doctor to refer you), but it can become a pricey affair. Another option would be to get a second opinion from a different dermatologist. If you live in or around Pretoria I can refer you, but otherwise you will have to ask your GP. Good luck.