Question
Posted by: Pretty, 25 | 2004/02/03

Recurring Depression

Pls help. I was sexually abused at 13, broke up with my partner of 6 years, had 2 abortions in a period of 6 months (2003) and feel that I cannot cope anymore. I have suicidal attacks, panick attacks and even threaten the people around me. I've seen pyschologists but nothing has helped. I was put on depression medication which ended up making me tired all the time. Who should I consult? I know I need help but seemingly there's none available. I'm afraid if I don't get this under control, I might end up taking my life coz I've already tried it at least 6 times. Please help, anyone!!!

Dear Pretty,
Obviously, you've had far more than your fair share of serious events and sadness to try to cope with. One might think that feeling tired while on medication might be a lot better than feeling sicidal, panic attacks, and so on. You're absolutely right that you need to get this all under control, with the advice and assistance of a local shrink ; and if so far you haven't found one who best suited you, keep trying. You need to be even more persistent in trying to find the right people and treatments to help you get things right, than this set of problems have been persistent in troubling you. You're worth it, and can get beyond this, to achieve a level of calm and achievement. You've been brave enough to survive this far, maintain and even improve on that, so you can eventually reap the rewards you've been working towards.