Question
Posted by: Mick | 2008/01/09

Recurring back pain

Hi Doc,
I have been experiencing back pain for about two months. It started between the shoulder blades. It then migrated down to the area between the rib cage and hips. Now it is somewhere in between the two. I only expereince it when I am sleeping. I have slept on this bed for a year now and am only having the problems now. I did some research on lower back pain and thought it may be sciactic nerve as it was only on the one side and when I sit up the pain is relieved. I did the exercises they recommended and sleep on my side with a pillow in between my legs and since then it has migraited to the middle. Could you shed any light on this as it is keeping me from sleeping through and thus am becoming an irritable puppy ;-).

Hallo Mick
It sounds too high in your back to be sciatica - it probably is caused by a severe muscle spasm and seeing a physiotherapist would probably be a good idea. If needed she will refer you for x/rays, but I doubt if this will be necessary.