Question
Posted by: Martin | 2007/04/12

Recurrent thoughts

Doctor, please help. It is a problem that started suddenly about two years ago and I don’t know what triggered it, but it is driving me crazy. I get this recurrent thoughts that will keep on returning and at the end of the day I will realize that a simple thought kept me busy the whole day. For example if I have decided that I won’t do something I keep on telling myself in my mind that “I won’t do it.” This thought will be repeated in my mind for hours and it nothing that I do to divert my attention from it seems to help. What can I do to stop this from happening?

Martin

This is probably an expression of an Obsessive personality, rather than OCD, and could probably be helped by CBT. cv's idea is a sound one --- as with other obsessions, if you confront them directly and try hard NOT to think them, they tend to get stronger and more sticky ( it's like asking anyone to try hard NOT to think of a white bear --- as soon as we start trying not to, that darn white bear pops up in our mind ! ) --- but using a competing thought, especially, as cv siggests, one that is pleasant and attractive, can often help.
I'm not sure whether this happens mainly with bad thoughts, or if its mainly when it does, that we notice it.

4
Posted by: dickhead | 2007/04/12

lebo mashile (poet) the past does not cleanse itself, it eats inside your skull....

there is no running away from yourself, just accept it, take me for example.. i would worry too much about something in said or did or did not do.. i would go for weeks but this days i just laugh at this ...i mean if you take yourslef too serious then is a problem..i would worry about the most embarassing thing i once did but i this day laugh at the most embarassing thing i did..

Reply to dickhead
Posted by: lady nina | 2007/04/12

hi there

a thought is only thought , nothing more
the power it has over you is the power you gave it
by entertaining it and giving it authority in your life

take the power back

you are not a victim but the boss

nina

Reply to lady nina
Posted by: Tabby | 2007/04/12

I can't believe that there is someone else out there that suffers from this as well! I thought I was the only one!
It hasn't happened to me for a while and only seems to happen with bad thoughts.

Thanks Martin for making me feel a bit normal (not that I think this is normal), but at least I don't feel so alone.

Perhaps CS can provide help.

Reply to Tabby
Posted by: cv | 2007/04/12

I sometimes have the same thing.What I do is to think of the most beaustfullest (hope that is spell correct..in afrikaans mooiste )thing that happened to you,and everytime this bad thought come back,I try my best to think of the "mooi " thing

Reply to cv