Question
Posted by: Shari | 2005/07/22

Recurrent Miscarriages - Immune Modification

Hi Everyone

Was wondering if anyone has had similar treatment or if Gynae doc could comment on the following:

I'm 33 years old and we've been ttcing for 3 years now. I've had 5 miscarraiges in the past 3 years. I've been at Medfem Clinic for the past year now, I've had every blood test conceivable, I'm on Glucophage and Staminagro, I've had a Laproscopy and Hystrocopy to remove Endometriosis and Fibriods and nothing but nothing has worked. Still every single pregnancy ends at approximatley the 6 week mark.

Three weeks ago our Dr at Medfem sent hubbie and I off for genetic testing. We're waiting with baited breath for those results, if that comes back normal I start with Progesterone and Immune Modification injections next month on 12th day scan. Has anyone ever heard of immune modification and it's success rates??

My Dr informed me on my last visit there that if this next pregnancy is unsuccessful that my hubbie and I will have to consider alternatives as he has no othe patients in my age group that have not responded at all to the above treatment.

I'm scared, sad and feeling hopeless. And was wondering if anyone could give me some hope surrounding this latest and last round of treatment.

Thanks!

I'm afraid that I don't have any figures for the success of this technology.

1
Posted by: Sun | 2005/07/25

Hi Shari

I am so sorry for your losses, that must be so painful for you to deal with.

I am also at Medfem and have had 3 losses. We recently did all the tests including genetic and they came back with some issues. I have not been there for about 3 months (taking a much needed break) but at my last visit I was told that my antibodies profile was borderline so I will be doing the immunoglobin injections for my next IVF.

I have never heard of this immune modification, what exactly does it entail. Maybe it is something I should consider, is it maybe to do with the course of antibiotic treatment, I have heard of that. Maybe speak to 1 of the sisters there and make an appointment to get them to explain it to you. I would like to know the outcome if you don't mind keeping me updated.

Best of Luck, I really hope that it works out for you
Sun

Reply to Sun