Posted by: *** | 2008/08/21

Recurrent infections

Hi Dr,
I get infections quite easily (once every 3 months at least), but the last three months I have gotten bladder infection once a month. The last two times, cultures was sent away and I was put on very strong Ciprobay. Every time the tests come back as a very resistant strain of streptococcus. By the time that the test results come back, I am better and the stick test does not pick up much. But I feel unwell and still get fever. Nothing pro-actively has been done for yet another 2 weeks. Should I get a second opinion or should I wait until I get sick again (I am already starting my symptoms again).

Sorry about the long write up and thank you for you time and willingness to help.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hi ***
I think you should see an urologist. More than 3 bladder infections per year is too much. There may be a physical problem like a narrowing of the urine tube causing urine to stagnate in the bladder, or a stone in the kidney or reflux of urine. Ask your doctor to refer you and take copies of the lab results with when you go. The urologist may want to do a cystoscopy ( look into the bladder with a fibre optic camera under anaesthetic), order a sonar, or do an IVP (x/ray of the kidneys and urine tubes after injection of radio opaque fluid into the vein) to exclude any physical obstruction in the urine tract. You may also have to use preventative medication for a while.
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: anxious | 2008/08/21

You need to see a urologist and might need a cystoscopy - a very thorough investigation of the bladder/kidneys done under general anaesthetic. I have chronic kidney problems and that is why my gp doesnt rely solely on the dipstick tests done in his rooms, especially if I am complaining to him about symptoms that I might have. Have you had all your previous samples sent to the lab for analysis? This is the only real way of picking up genuine infection problems which need prompt antibiotic treatment. The problem is that urologists will not really consider ongong bladder infections as a problem unless you have more than 3 in a one year period and these have to be proven by the lab to have been positive. So if your last 3 or so positive results were confirmed by the lab as being positive, you then probably have adequate reason (I believe) to seek the opinion of a urologist.

Ongoing (and also untreated) bladder infections can become problematic and even lead to kidney problems.

Reply to anxious

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.