Posted by: Ri | 2004/03/11

Recurrent Boils

I have had a cluster ofd boils when i was about 15yrs old. Which was lanced and treated. I am now 26 yrs old and after i shaved under my arms in december I have had a boil under my arms which rapidly spread all over my body. I have been to the doctor and have had antibiotics prescribed they did not make any diffrence if im notmistaken they have made the situation worse. now i have the dilemma of recurring boils in total i have had about 15 of about 4 at a time. i have resorted to using bactroban which has helped. please could u help me. also i had given birth to 2 babies in the span of 11 mnths and have been run down could this be an addition to them recurring, i also had gestational diabetes a mild case of it. please help. i have no a tiny tiny one on my groin,please help before its gets huge and painful. please

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Ri, boils or furuncles usually caused by bacteria called Staphylococcus aureus. They are usually treated with antibiotics (first ointments and then pills).
Usually that is all that needs to be done, but if the ointments/pills don't work the first thing I would do is to send some of the puss away to try and determine the cause of the boils and what the most suitable antibiotic will be. If the boils return again, we will then know that they are new ones and not just the old ones coming back (as we know that we gave the correct antibiotics).
You can try to prevent them from returning by using chlorhexidine gluconate soap, but usually it's not necessary. We now also need to make sure that there is no problem with your immunity and that there is nothing else wrong with you. We can then start giving preventative antibiotics for up to 6 months. If that doesn’t help, we start all over again because we missed something somewhere. If you have already been through this process, you need to find a good dermatologist. Good luck.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Skippy | 2004/03/12


My son also had problems with boils and after a long struggle the doctor gave him a iron tonic. (He was 7 years old at that stage). He suffered with boils, etc for about 3 years. After taking the iron tonic the boils disappeared and never returned (he is now 25). Hope this helps.

Reply to Skippy

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.