Question
Posted by: Sproeitjies | 2008/06/04

Recurrence of endometriosis

I would like to know how long it can take for endometriosis to return after a laporoscopy was done. I had my first lap done in February. Before my lap I had a dull pain on the right hand side of my abdomen. After the surgery my doctor told me he removed the endo from behind right and left side of my uterus. I was told to tri-cycle my pill, and my first menstruation after the lap was in April. But, during this time and about 3 weeks after my period I got these terrible random stabbing pains that I never used to get before. I got them in different parts of my abdomen, including the area above my naval. When I told my doctor he said that the pains didn't necessarily mean that the endo was back, and that it could be something else, especially since I experienced pain above my naval as well. He has now given me Colofac (for my colon) and Brexecam (an anti-inflammatory) to see how that works. But I have never had any problems with my colon, even after the surgery, so it seems a bit weird to me. Although I don't get the random stab pains anymore, I still experience dull pain in different places. Could my endo be back after about 3 months after surgery? Should I get a second opinion? I got these meds about a month ago and my doctor did do an ultrasound but everything was normal. I really hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!

It is unlikely that the endometriosis has recurred so quickly if it was completely removed. It sounds like you had quite extensive surgery and these could be the after effects of the surgery in the bowel area that you are experiencing.