Question
Posted by: Tessa | 2008/01/05

Rectum Cancer

A cancer lump was removed from my 9 year old female Spaniel a few months ago, it was situated around the rectum. I discovered a week ago that she had difficulty to pooh, I took her to the vet and he said that there was a lump inside her rectum and will close it totally. He gave me prednisilone pills to give her 5 daily, it doesn't seem to work. She is struggling and nothing can come out. I read about Flaxseed oil for curing cancer, what do you think and what can you recommend?

Rika Avis

It is possible for dogs to develop a large tumour that will obstruct bowel motions. It is necessary to find out what has caused the tumour to know if there is treatment that will be effective.

2
Posted by: felicity | 2008/01/07

My 5 year old labrador had a malignant tumour removed from the peri anal wall and due to its location close to the anal muscle not all of the tumour could be removed. She has had a course of 8 chemotherapies and was on a huge dose of prednisone for the duration of the chem and it has now been reduced to 4 a day. I constantly check her anal area as I've become paranoid that it will recur. The vet says its a case of watch and see if there are any signs of it regrowing. I really feel for you as I felt totally helpless and now I have given it my best shot. She is HUGE from the cortisone and the diet she was put on for chemo but she's alive and thats all I worry about for now.

Reply to felicity
Posted by: Chill | 2008/01/05

If only curing cancer was as simple as taking flaxseed oil...

Your vet needs to tell you if this is a recurrence of the cancer, or possibly some other problem. If he can't do anything, then request a referral to a specialist vet - you don't say where in the country you are, but there are various specialist clinics situated here and there. Depending on the type of cancer, and the condition of the dog, there are usually various treatment options available - although of course you do need to discuss the prognosis, as well as the costs, before you embark on any.

Best of luck.

Reply to Chill