Question
Posted by: rectal | 2008/01/08

Rectovaginal

thanks for your answer but I understand that the doctors choose individually, but surely it is either necessary or not ,as other normal procedures, and if my doc has never done this, will he never, even though im 40, and could we be missing something important. I rather not have it done, but if it is important, then I would hate to pick up something too late because the doc is not as thorouh as he should be,please could you give me a more detailed opinion on the subject. Thanks.

A rectal examination would be to detect rectal cancer. This is not particularly common. Colon cancer is commoner and would not be felt on rectal examination. Personally I would not routinely do rectal examinations unless there were symptoms or a family history of colon cancer or some other high risk factor.