Question
Posted by: Faan | 2008/06/09

Recovery exercises for hamstring injury

I have injured my hamstring what exercise can I do to speed up the recovery

Hi Faan

Knowing when to start training again is very difficult to do, for obvious reasons. It would be very unwise to launch right into training straight away - you'll just re-injure the muscle. You should have taken a week or two to recover and get over the pain when the injury first happened. You now need to gradually build up the distance or intensity again. This means that if you experience any pain when walking, then the muscle is not ready yet.

If there is no pain when walking, then you can begin gentle running. Once again, if you experience pain, then stop and walk, as you are not fully recovered. Eventually you will increase to your normal intensity and volume, and then you can begin to train without concern. But the trick is to go up in very small increments.

The same goes for weight training - if you go to the gym, and lift weights, then any pain is a sign of a damaged muscle, and you're better off resting. Once that pain goes away, then you can begin to do very light weights. The kind of exercise is not different, just the weight you use when doing it. Go light, be conservative and rather aim for 4 weeks of rest, and not 2 weeks of rest with a new injury in 3 weeks.

The safest bet is to consult with a physio - the first phase treatment of massage and stretching and ultrasound is very good in speeding up recovery, and this way you would have a supervised rehab programme to follow.

1
Posted by: lamar | 2008/06/23

Does those hamstring recovery kit advertised on internet really work.

Reply to lamar