Question
Posted by: Struggling | 2007/08/10

Recovery after meningitis - having probs

It's been two weeks since being released from hospital after contracting meningitis. It app started out as viral which then turned into bacterial for some reason. Having no medical aid app gives general hospital staff to treat you like cattle.

Anyway, after being on Rosifin or something for 5 days as prescribed I signed out of hospital due to them firstly not worrying about the migraine type headache I've had for 9 days by that stage and because I could not stand the dirt.

I went home on the Thursday and was back at work on Tuesday. Nobody told me how long it takes to recover and what I should expect. I've been on a two week course of Tegratol 200mg and Arthrexin 75 mg x 3 a day. I suffer badly from headaches now, I can't blow my nose without popping my ears and almost passing out (no pain tho). I have memory problems and struggle to remember simple words in conversation. Ppl will speak to me and if you asked me what they said afterwards, I can barely remember. The worst is my eyes. I have three black spots permantly and can barely see on my computer without serious concentration. I can't read sign boards or license plates as per normal. I'm freaking out as it feels like there is a layer of "snow" over my normal vision. I am struggling a bit at work, feeling ok in the morning and then catching a serious dip at about lunch time.

This freaking me out and nobody seems to be able to help me. It's affecting my life!!! It makes me feel stupid and blind even tho I'm only 24 yrs.

Pls can somebody give me some advice.

Dear Struggling
The problem is that I am not sure that the bacterial infection has cleared up sufficiently on the 5 days of Rocephin. The problem with bacterial meningitis is that it forms pus in the small grooves of the brain which can cause blockage of the veins and arteries causing permanent brain damage ( like after a stroke)
see http://www.dhpe.org/infect/Bacmeningitis.html

The neurological symptoms you have is worrying as you should have been on antibiotics for at least a week to 10 days - you will have to get back to a doctor as soon as possible - it may not clear up on its own and even flare up again.