Question
Posted by: SOMEONE | 2007/11/28

RECOVERY AFTER BACK OP

My mother-in-law had a back operation two weeks ago and needs advice on her recovery... she had a Laminectomy on L4 and L5, Posterior Fusion with screws and rods on L4 / L5 and S1, and a Disectomy on L4/L5 and S1............ She has been told to lie flat for 6 weeks, but needs useful advice and what to expect in her recovery?? Please help.

HI Someone

I hate to pass the buck, but on this one, I have to. The only person, and the best placed person to offer any advice is a doctor or chiro or physio who has actually seen her, assessed her and knows the situation. It is obviously a fairly serious one, because bed rest for 6 weeks is pretty intense, so she really does need to consult with someone. There will be exercises she can do while in bed, but I really can't make any recommendations - she needs a 'hands-on', warm body approach here.