Posted by: nicole | 2008/06/18

recovery after accident

my husband developed blood clots in his lung after an operation on his leg which was severely broken in a motorbike accident. he was in hospital for a week when he was discharged and was readmitted for a week once the blood clots were discovered. he is now on warfrin and being monitored ever three to four days by the hospital lab and they prescibe his daily dosage.
now we are not certain what types of foods he can have because apparently it is not good to eat anything with Vit. K?
Also, is there anything I can get him at the pharmacy that will help his body recupperate because he has been so down and low on energy, losing weight rapidly since the accident. he's also been throwing up some evenings and cant get comfortable at all resulting in hardly any sleep for him.i am at a loss and dont know what to do for him. can you please offer some help?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Hi Nicole
You can give him Ensure food supplement inbetween meals and get him a good multivitamin (most brands are fine just check that it does not contain garlic, gingko biloba or ginseng as this is contraindicated). He may eat only small amounts of the following: liver, broccoli, brussels sprouts, spinach, cabbage, lettuce and other green leafy vegetables. He needs to avoid cranberries/cranberry juice/cranberry herbal products and alcohol.
See also
It may help if he sleeps with his upper body slightly elevated as the lung emboli makes one feel very short of breath. He probably also lost a lot of blood with the fractures. Ask your doctor what his HB is ( it should be on the blood tests they did at the hospital) if lower than 11 an iron supplement may be indicated.
All of the best, hope he feels better soon!
Dr Bets

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.