Question
Posted by: Dakes | 2004/11/24

recovery after a laminectomy

What can be expexpected after undergoing a laminectomy?

Are there support groups for patients who have undergone a laminectomy?

Expert ImageArchive

Recovery after laminectomy

Dakes, We would need you to be more specific about what exactly you need to know about the laminectomy. You may want to try the Internet to find more information on the surgery.
After surgery you should of seen a physiotherapist who would of taught you initial flexibility and stability exercises, as well as how to care for your back –for example how to turn/roll over. They should then refer you to a biokineticist who then shows you how to focus on functional stability exercises as well as strengthening exercises for your back and any other body parts that may have been affected by your back condition eg: weak glutes from a neural impingement.
As for a support group, I’m not quite sure what you mean but you will be able to chat to your biokineticist for all the relevant information you need to know concerning your surgery.

1
Posted by: Hippi | 2005/02/21

Hello Drakes
I haven't had a laminectomy yet, my surgeon recommended Biokinetics after my hip replacement in June 04 before he was prepared to do a laminectomy for Stenosis in my lumbar spine.
The stretching excercises and strengthening of "core" muscle
excercises have done wonders for me, but they have to done regularly and kept up otherwise the stiffness returns. My back is still unstable and will need a lot of continueing excercise - it took years of neural impingement to make my quads and glutes weak and one can't expect them to regain their strength 'ovoernight' so to speak. I was never one for the Gym because I always feared I'd do more damage to my back but I wish I had knwn about Biokinetics a long time ago! There is a vergy good site "spineuniverse.com" which will give you tremendous info about all back problems, the op's they do and what to expect after surgery.
Good luck. 21.02.05

Reply to Hippi