Question
Posted by: alika | 2006/11/05

recovering from anorexia

hi
i have anorexia and am trying to get out of the circle of not eating and basing my life around food. my family and friends have been really supportive and its really helped me turn my views around. i am trying to put on weight now and i kinda binged yesterday but surprisingly i enjoyed eating again but right now i have this big tummy sticking out and thats what gets me down i hate havining a fat belly and that gets me back to my habits before so any advise on how i can put on weight but keep the flat stomach and any other general stuff plz.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi Alika,

well done on trying to break the cycle that you have been trapped in. Your fears about your stomach need to be dealt with carefully so that you dont go back into that cycle again. But if you feel in control, then there is no need for that to happen. You may sometimes find that if you eat large amounts all at once then your stomach will feel bloated, and it is often better to eat less, but more often.

You could also consider an exercise routine, but not one that is too hectic.

Do you have a dietician helping you with your meals etc?

It really is worth speaking to the professionals that have been helping you as it sounds as if you have made some great strides, and its important to get this part of the process right as well.

2
Posted by: N | 2006/11/10

Dear Alika

I was anorexic for 2 years and today I am doing much better. If I can give you advice it is to start occupying your mind with things that does not involve food. Start enjoying life and soon food will only be the fuel you need in order to have fun. Also please don't go back to your old ways when you pick up a little bit of weight. Remeber that your body's not used to all this food, so it's grabbing on to it and storing it. This will disappear after a while when your body realises that you are not depriving it of food anymore. Go to a dietician. She will help you to build muscle and not gain fat - cos this is our fear - getting fat. Remember that your body fat can be low while you are healthy. Decide to take care of yourself and do it!

Reply to N
Posted by: Angie | 2006/11/06

Well done on trying to make make your body healthier again :)
I think, because your stomach isn't used to having too much food in it, your digestive system might be a bit slow, and maybe thats why you were a little bloated. However, the best advice I can give is to try avoid anything made from white flour (for the bloating). Otherwise, just drink water throughout the day, and eat fruit and veggies - to make sure you are getting your nutrition. Good luck! And I'm sure the Teen Expert will have more advice for you!

Reply to Angie