Question
Posted by: Feeling Lazy | 2007/08/13

Recovering from a cold

I am recovering from flu and would like to know when I can get into the gym again? Are there any exercises I should avoid or some that you would recommend like no running more resistance traning etc

Generally, better safe than sorry is the way to go on this one. They say that once the main symptoms have cleared, probably another day or two is called for. Usually, after flu, your body symptoms go away, but you are left with perhaps a tight chest, sinus problem etc and this can make exercise quite difficult anyway. So the first few days back are pretty tough, and that's why waiting is probably better for you anyway.

So I'd say that once you feel up to it, give it another two or three days, and then head back and try to avoid jumping in where you left off - you'll notice the say week or two that you missed, and you'll feel pretty flat, so don't expect any more of your body than this. Same goes for resistance training - go back at 70 or 80% of what you used to do, that's all and give it another week of easy training before you're flat out again!

1
Posted by: FitFanatic | 2007/08/13

Rest, rest, rest!!!

I'm not a doc, but please make a full recovery before going back. It's very bad for your heart to exercise with flu. Take it easy, make a full recovery and then go back

Quick recovery
FitFanatic

Reply to FitFanatic