Question
Posted by: Linz | 2005/07/16

recovering bulimic, still trying to loose weight

Hi there diet doc
Wondering if you could give me some tips. I am not the healthiest eater, but looking to loose between 5 and 8kgs by novemeber. What makes this difficult is that I am bulemic, but not underweight as the stereotype implies. Problem comes in with my mind set saying the more you eat, the bigger you will get, so I have spurts of starving myself, then complete glutony and occasional purging. My fear with doing a diet is the amount of food they tell you to eat. I have been really good with the bulemia, (meaning I havnt purged in almost 2 months)but if I were to follow a diet and pic up weight, even only initially, I WILL go back to my same habits. I am 5.8 and currently weigh 64kgs. I know Im a healthy weight, but I just want to loose a bit for a friends wedding.
Thank you for your time and would really appreciate the advise!

Dear Linz
Your present BMI = 20,7 which is below the ideal for your height. Your ideal weight is 65 kg, so I would seriously counsel you NOT to go on a diet especially because you are at risk for bulimia. It is wonderful that you have managed to stop purging for nearly 2 months - don't spoil your good record when your weight is already below the ideal. Go and enjoy your friend's wedding and accept that you look lovely. If you experience further problems with your bulimia, please consult a clinical dietitian to help you conquer this dreaded eating disorder once and for all. Check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area.
Take care

1
Posted by: Mieka | 2005/07/18

Hi there, join weigh less - then at least you will have a normal, healthy eating plan and sure to loose your extra weight. The formula is really good and if you stick to it, you won't have the feeling of being bloated and wanting to purge. With the weekly weigh-in you also can't overeat and try to purge, because that will definately show on the scale.

Reply to Mieka