Question
Posted by: Tinkerbell | 2002/12/16

Recover from flu - how restart training programme

I have been following the "Run 21 km in 21 weeks" programme (SHAPE), currently I am in week 4 (run 2, walk 2 X 10). I planned to do my first 5km run on 28 Dec 2002 (Rietondale PTA) but then bumped into flu... What should I do, when should I continue with my running program ? At what level should I start again (repeat perhaps 1 or 2 sessions of week 4 - and then go on to week 5's program) ? Would it still be wise to do the 5km run, I am worried about my fitness level...

Expert ImageArchive

Hi Tinkerbell

Only run again when you are completely recovered and no sooner than about 5 days since you last had a fever.
When recommencing your programme, start with week 4 and see how it goes.
You could probably walk/run the 5km 28 Dec rather than running the entire distance if this is an option?
But don't push yourself, just focus on completing the distance.

Good luck and remember always to listen to your body.