Question
Posted by: kay | 2007/04/03

recognising stress in my 8 year old

How would I know if my 8 year old daughter feeling stressed out, especially at this time when we are planning to immigrate. She is not able to articulate her feelings.

There's no magical technique, but you should still be able to discuss it with her --- maybe bnot by asking directly, but talking about how you feel about the plans to move, and asking how she fels about aspects of it. Talking about what she thinks it will be like in the new place, new school, the chance to make good friends --- not sales talk, trying to convince her it'll all be dandy, but interested in how she see things. She will express her feelings most freelly, perhaps, when not asking and talking specifically about feelings as such. And watch aspects like her appetite, and sleep, and ability to concentrate.

1
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/04/03

Ask her a lot of questions so that her answers can only be yes or no and after that ask her if she would like to explain her feelings to you. Take her for a milkshake and start a conversation about immigrating etc.

Reply to Echelle