Question
Posted by: Cat lover | 2003/12/21

recently adopted a new kitten

Hi, sorry! Refering to the posting just b4 this one, when I said recently I only adopted the kitten from the SPCA the day b4 the posting! Thank you for the advice. I locked the kitten away in a room & Brought the older cat in & He just had water & ate much less than usual-then sniffed around the kitchen & then left! He has taken to catching gekos & leaving their half eaten bodies lying around the garden -something he has never done before! (I found 4 this morning!!!) Is this his way of "acting out"?
Should I keep them seperated until the kitten has been sterilized?
Another question I had was about food- what kind, how much & how often do I feed the kitten? Right now he eats normal cat pellets (Like the ones he was fed at the SPCA) & he has also tasted cooked mashed egg yolk & chopped ham. I feed him only 2 tablespoons worth of food at any one time (which he eats up as though he has been starved but he usually seems satisfied with just that amount) +-4 times per day. (Not at specific times though-just when he seems hungry) But when we eat as a family he comes running & jumps on the table & cries & cries for food even though I make a point of feeding him just before we sit down to eat! Is he really hungry or just misbehaving?
Any advice from anyone out there would be welcome!!!

Hi Cat Lover
The killing of ghekos is quite normal behaviour for cats and he may be doing it for fun or to get your attention, so ignore it completely. Keeping the cats separated is only so that they can learn to get along and so that the older one doesn't feel that his territory is invaded all at once, but as soon as they seem to be ok together you can leave them together. You should have your kitten sterilized before 6 months to prevent unwanted kittens. It's easiest to feed the kitten commercial kitten food only. A good quality dry kitten pellet is best. Read on the packet how much to give the kitten according to age and weight and then divide the daily food allowance by 4 times a day. You should not feed anything else, especially milk and raw egg. If you want to spoil him you can add a spoon of tinned kitten food every now and then. You can add about 10% of the daily allowance of his food per day if he seems hungry and make sure he has been dewormed. To stop him "begging" you can close him out of your dining area or put him in his crate to eat. Older cats can be sprayed with citrnella solution to deter them from tabletops.
Karen Gray-Kilfoil
ANIMAL BEHAVIOURIST