Question
Posted by: JSS | 2005/07/25

Reassurance about fluoxetine

Hi CS and how are you? Well as you recall Ive been on fluoxetine for about the last 11 days. There are no side effects and everything is fine with me. Now please don't be angry with me but I have once again been reading up on anti-depressants in general and some people have said they were of no benefit to them. One guy in particular said he felt like a zombie while on them and he just stopped taking all meds and he felt 100% better off them. At the moment I dont know what I feel. I had been very tearful for a long time to the point that I couldn't cope with the simplest of tasks and thats why Im on fluoxetine. Joanne 'E' said I should give myself at least 6 weeks which I will do but I guess I am just a little sceptical about the whole thing. Mind you, at the moment I dont know my ass from my elbow. I hope I am not wasting my time.

Well, the guy who said he felt lovely without the antidepressants, shouldn't have started them in the first place, as there couldn't have been anything wrong with him to start with. If you have already, so early, begun to feel somewhat better, it's hard to see how you could possibly be wasting your time. Persist.

2
Posted by: LL | 2005/07/26

I've been on fluoextine for bout 3 years, also thought that it's not doing anything till i went off it, what i reality shock, only then i realised how much it actually did for me, all those teary days, suicide thoughts, miserable feelings came back with a bang! i had to go back on and will stay on it for as long as it takes.
So, if you not sure if it's doing something for you, try going off it, you will soon realise.
Being on fluoxetine for me means being normal.And i like normal!

Reply to LL
Posted by: Liza | 2005/07/25

The people that say that anti-depressants don't work for them - are the people that don't actually need it. There are doctors that are very quick to prescribe an anti-depressant when a good counselling sessions would help a lot more than pills. I doubt whether you're wasting your time. Hopefully you've been assessed by a psychiatrist and not just a GP? Sometimes its difficult to accept that you have to drink 'happy' pills - especially with the bad PR it gotten from the media in the past. Just don't give up.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza