Question
Posted by: THINK | 2005/11/17

RE:article entitled nutrition no cure for HIV

i read your article entitled nutrition no cure for HIV and your criticism of the Minister of Health. Personally, I think I understand and agree with the Minister's concerns regarding the toxicity of ARVs as well as her insistance that if there are alternative ways of prolonging lives, these should be investigated to widen the choice for those who are affected. My cousin died recently due to the side effects of ARVs, specifically pancreatitis...and no has bothered to submit his case to the MRC as proof that ARVs can be fatal

Dear Think
Thank you for this contribution. I am sorry to hear that you cousin died of pancreatitis. The use of any medication may be associated with risks (e.g. one can die from taking aspirin if it induces bleeding ulcers and resultant haemorrhage), but the general experience is that using ARVs can slow the progression of HIV and AIDS and promote a better quality of life for patients. I am all for the use of dietary components to improve immunity, but do not believe that foods alone can have the same impact as the correct diet plus AVRs in a large percentage of patients.