Question

Reality has hit me right between the eyes....

Looking to find another job because I just cant take the present one any longer, but when agencies check my age (45) they are not really interested.
this has knocked my confidence for a 6.....Now what??

Pity. isn't it, thjat the constitution, while righly banning raial and sexual/ghender discrimination, doesn't also ban discrimination based on age ? As our friends here say, PERSEVERE and you can still succeed. TOo many managers are stupid enough not to recognize the value of experience, both work experience and life experience. You cannotrun a successful business with a herd of 20-year-olds

3
Posted by: figured it out | 2005/11/29

I went through that earlier this year, was without solid work for 4 months, age, white and male! I got a lucky break through loads of applications and diversifying my interests. I stuck my neck out into something I have no experience with at all, and sold myself on my abilities rather than related experience.

But its a lucky break, and its literally the one thing you must ope for and keep searching for. Only way you're going to get it is to push like mad in as many diverse directions as you can, take chances however remote they seem.

Here's one if you have the time, personality and perserverance - estate agency work. hard work, but if you have the edge over a lot of people who shouldn't be in the business, you can do expremely well. Its not property you're selling, its peoples lives in homes.

Reply to figured it out
Posted by: Buzz | 2005/11/29

I wonder if these companies consider a 45-year young woman a fossil? Geez, what is the average life expectancy of SA women? You still have many years of productivity, and a lot of experience and skill I'm sure.

Like Frusty said, just persevere. There are still companies that employ people because of skill, experience and qualifications, regardless of their age. Good luck, don't give up.

Reply to Buzz
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/11/29

Perseverence! If that is how it is spelt. Start your CV on a positive note saying that you have so much knowledge and experience to offer. Here in the U.K. age is not a problem, but I do know that back in S.A. it is a deciding factor, especially for a woman.

Reply to Frusty