Question
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/01

Reading Material: Some Meaningful Words...

A bit long, but well worth your taking the time to read...

Sometimes it is good to have a reminder?

Too many people put off something that brings them joy just because they haven't thought about it, don't have it on their schedule, didn't know it was coming or are too rigid to depart from their routine.

I got to thinking one day about all those women on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible.

How many women out there will eat at home because their husband didn't suggest going out to dinner until after something had been thawed? Does the word "refrigeration" mean nothing to you?

How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'your favourite program on television?

I cannot count the times I called my sister and said, "How about going to lunch in a half hour?" She would gas up and stammer, "I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is dirty. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast, it looks like rain. "And my personal favourite: "It's Monday." ...She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together.

Because we all cram so much into our lives, we tend to schedule our headaches. We live on a sparse diet of promises we make to ourselves when all the conditions are perfect!

We'll go back and visit the grandparents when we get our children toilet- trained. We'll entertain when we replace the living-room carpet. We'll go on a second honeymoon when we get two more kids out of college.

Life has a way of accelerating as we get older. The days get shorter, and the list of promises to ourselves gets longer. One morning, we awaken, and all we have to show for our lives is a litany of "I'm going to," "I plan on," and "Someday, when things have settled down a bit."

When anyone calls my 'seize the moment' friend, she is open to adventure and available for trips. She keeps an open mind on new ideas. Her enthusiasm for life is contagious. You talk with her for five minutes, and you're ready to trade your bad feet for a pair of Rollerblades and skip an elevator for a bungee cord.

My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. It's just that I might as well apply it directly to my stomach with a spatula and eliminate the digestive process. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy.

Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to......not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say?

And why are you waiting?

Make sure you read this to the end; you will understand why I sent this to you.

Have you ever watched kids playing on a merry go round or listened to the rain pitter-pattering on the ground? Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight or gazed at the sun into the fading night? Do you run through each day on the fly? When you ask, "How are you?" Do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed with the next hundred chores running through your head? Ever told your child, "We'll do it tomorrow." And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die? Just called to say, "Hi"?

When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift....thrown away... Life is not a race. Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!"

You're SURELY not possibly from First Nationla Bank ? After years of their messing around with our family accounts, last week I had the rare experience of firing a bank manager (FNB) and tomorrow have HIS boss coming round to check on what went wrong. at least they may be able to fix things for other people, even if it's too late for us.
You seem to do good reading / surfing / hunting Shaun, and always come up with something sustaining ! Food for thought, ans such a good diet !

2
Posted by: Monti | 2004/11/01

Where did you come from? First national Bank? Your words aren't only meaningful, but are encouraging us to be positive and to enjoy the little things in life. It's the little things we need the most in our lives. Thank you! Regret is like guilt they can be very destructive especially for some people who aren't very forgiving. make fresh start because it's never too late to start again, do things you've always wanted to do. People make a mistake of forgiving others, forsaking themselves. Thank you again.

Reply to Monti
Posted by: DBB | 2004/11/01

Hi Shaun ,

Just to let you know that is my new Attitude from last week . all i have ever done is worry about tomorrow and never spend money always saving it . No bills to pay house car ect all paid off. but while i am here i am going to dance. I am not sure if the pills i am on are working or not at the moment i have any had 2 downers in the month. Yesterday my X moved out and i was glad for her as i have given her so much pain. She send me a email this morning telling me how much she loves me and hope we will get back together i told her to get out there and find her smil again and not to wait for me. Thanks for this i am going to send it to a few people i know.

Reply to DBB