Question
Posted by: lolipop | 2007/07/19

reading hobby

I have a serious hobby of reading books . I love reading books so much educational books that is.I spend most of my time reading books and I dont get tired or bored.CAN IT BE A PROBLEM WHEN ONE STATRS OVERDOING THIS.IF SO IN WHAT WAY

ANYTHING can become a problem if you overdo it --- if you engage in it to the point of neglecting other tasks in life, and allowing it to interfere with your work, home and social life. But reading good books is surely one of the most wholesome and valuable of hobbies and pastimes. GOod luck to you !

1
Posted by: John | 2007/07/19

Any hobby, whether collecting hubcaps from 60's cars or reading, can be counter-productive when overdone.

Being a bit of a reader myself, I find that I read the ingredients on the Tomato Sauce bottle or I read the rubbish (New Exclusive Estate!!) thats handed out at traffic lights, both of which have no real tangible benefits.

One reads for either entertainment or for education/enlightenment. The entertainment stuff can have less value - in terms of enrichment - than the educational stuff but its so much more fun. For example, I enjoy Jonathan Kellerman enormously but I have a sneaky feeling that I cannot spend all my book money on this type of reading material. I don't know why, exactly, but there it is. So I balance it by buying an 'educational' book for every entertainment book I buy. I'm really interested in the Natural Sciences so I have a wide variety of stuff to choose from. Example of this are "Nelson Mandela's Autobiography", "A Brief History of Almost Everything" and "Freakonomics". So reading can be both interesting and educational at the same time.

But if its the time spent reading rather than the quality of what you read that bothers you, then, yes, do not read so much that you escape into another world at the expense of the real one around you. Make sure that you are socially accessible. Watch TV, too, and be sure to keep in touch with current events. Its no good having read everything on the fiction shelf and not really understand why there is all that drama in the Middle East. As with most other parts of life, in this, too, you need balance.

So try to improve the quality of the content so that you benefit directly and balance your reading with other leisure activities.

Reply to John